Body recontouring is a common procedure done after major weight loss. Body contouring with Dr. Bartell improves the shape and tone of your underlying tissue that supports fat and skin and removes excess sagging fat and skin.
Following weight reduction surgery, or any substantial amount of weight loss, the skin and tissues are changed and often lack elasticity and cannot conform to the reduced body size.
Areas of the body where the skin has been severely stretched is now unsupported:
- Breasts may flatten and hang with nipples pointed downward
- Upper arms may sag and appear loose and full
- Abdominal area may extend around the sides and into the lower back area, resulting in an apron-like overhang
- Buttocks, groin and thighs can sag and cause hanging pockets of skin
Surgical body recontouring following major weight loss improves the shape and tone of your underlying tissue that supports fat and skin, and removes excess sagging fat and skin.
The result is a more normal appearance to the body, with smoother contours. This is, in essence, the final phase of your total weight loss experience.
During your initial consultation, be prepared to discuss:
- Why you want the surgery, your expectations and desired outcome
- The options available in body contouring surgery
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Use of current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drugs
- Previous surgeries
Body recontouring is a highly effective technique for providing a new body contour with minimal scarring. The results can be permanent, providing you eat sensibly and exercise regularly. Most patients are very satisfied with the results of their body contouring procedure – they feel much more comfortable in their clothing and more at ease with their body image.